Social Action Log

Friday October 29, 2010

5:00 pm
8:30 pm
Tonya Hall
Music On Main Street
Centennial Park 291 N Main St
Community organization
Equipment Assistant

1.) What research method does this assignment represent?
The research method used for this assignment was unobtrusive methods, since I observed the people around me without having to interact in any way.
2.) What is the overall function of the organization?
The function provides free entertainment to any whom wish to enjoy and listen to live musical acts every Friday evening in the fall and spring.
3.) What are some of the more interesting things that you observed during your work time?
At the time I began working there I noticed that the majority of residents who come to see the live musical performances are elderly. The vast majority were elderly couples whom arrived together.
4.) How did you feel as you were working? Explain.
While helping out the Parks and Leisure services coordinator set up and take down the chairs, I felt like I was helping more than I was actually doing. It felt good to take some time off on Friday to help someone in your community whether it be a small helping hand or a big help.
5.) What other social issues are related to those addresses by your service work? Explain.
Having Music on Main may feel like an alternative to other entertainment such as the movie theater, bowling alley, and relaxing with friends.
6.) Has your work helped you clarify the dynamics of any social issue? Explain.
It helped me clarify some of the aspects of community events, but I don't know if my work was long enough to identify some soft of dynamic social issue, due to my limited time helping. Although I was quite shocked that many younger people rarely come to spectate.
7.) How does your work connect to something that you have read in the course? Explain carefully, and use appropriate MLA style page citations.
Henslin explains that teamwork brings recognition from others. (Henslin 104) I think this is true, because my supervisor thought I was doing this because of punishment, but when she found out that I was doing it voluntarily she said, "Oh you're just a nice guy huh." Also, the atmosphere at the event felt like a little community, where everyone was familiar with everyone since a few regulars went to see Music on Main every Friday. This is somewhat similar to Herbert Gan's research findings. (Henslin 416-417)

Labels: