Technical Reading Response #6

Daniel Contreras
Professor Neal Blaikie
CRN 72392 ENGL P140
Technical Reading Response #6
18 October 2010

1. Rob Cook repeats the same phrase in his poem "The Song of America".
2. Adrienne Rich's poem has isn't structured.
3. Zones and Self-Exam both have a nice flow from start to finish.
Question: How do all these poems relate to each other?
Extended:
1. Rob Cook's poem "The Song of America" starts with the phrase, "I'm raising my child to", then continues on with the line. The next line begins with the exact same phrase. The thing now is that the second part of the next line is different from the first. So the author is only repeating the first part of the phrase, over and over again.
2. The poem "Tonight No Poetry Will Serve" written by Adrienne Rich is short, simple, and easy to read multiple times. It doesn't have a specific structure or format. Although it's still very poetic. I also noticed that she cleverly used verb, adverb, noun, etc in sentences.
3. Both "Zones" and "Self-Exam" flow nice and evenly as you read them. I didn't quite enjoy them as much as I enjoyed the other two, but these had a nice flow so they weren't bad. I had no clue really what "Zones" was about, but I liked how the poet chose his words. "Self-Exam" has more sophisticated language and is a very well written poem as well.

Labels: